It’s a new year with a lot of hope for what 2022 has in store for us. When it comes to business, it always feels good to have a fresh start. This year, especially with all the existing challenges, a big focus should be on keeping things positive.
Whether you are experiencing staffing challenges, supply chain problems or just typical day-to-day issues — it matters that you proactively communicate. It’s also important how you communicate the message to your customers. While most people are understanding, it doesn’t hurt to convey positive messaging regardless of the situation.
Pro Tips for Effective Communication in 2022
- When you have to deliver bad news, always find some related good news to include.
- Get creative and add humor when appropriate to lighten the mood upfront.
- If you have staffing issues, instead of saying “Please be patient, we are understaffed.” Try: “Our team may be smaller than it normally is, but our awesome staff is doing everything they can to provide the best possible service! We appreciate your patience during this time. We are also actively recruiting, so if you or someone you know would like to join our crew, please let us know!”
- If you have supply chain issues and are low on inventory or there are shipment delays — offer and promote alternative items, offer free upgraded shipping or a coupon for their next purchase. Small low-cost gestures will go a long way with customer satisfaction.
- One of my personal favorite examples (for inspiration) of flipping a negative into a positive… turn haters into promoters like Snowbird Ski Area did:
Or the recent National Parks campaign using negative visitor reviews paired with poster artwork:
Here’s to a great year!
Katie O’Hara, Project Manager
Katie loves the challenge of finding ways to help clients stand out in a crowded world. She believes that finding inspiration in unlikely places is the key to great ideas.